Photos, documents and books conservation deals with the preservation of our memories.
Our historical memories recognized as such in archives, libraries and public institutions, but also the preservation of the memories of our family and our community.
In this package of 2 courses you will learn how to carry out the conservation of photos and documents and books conservation in a professional or personal context.
The package fee includes access 24 hours / day for unlimited time to:
- Lessons for each theme of the programs
- Tutorial videos
- Detailed instructions for photos, documents and books conservation
- Links to articles, videos and websites
- Assessment (1 final questionnaire per course)
- Certificate (1 certificate per course).
Learning objectives of photos, documents and books conservation courses
- know materials, supports and constituent elements of books and documents
- identify the main pathologies in documents and books and their causes
- maintenance operations and repairs on documents and books
- know the methods for the documents and books conservation
- learn, with tutorial vídeos, the techniques for documents and books conservation
At the end of the conservation of photography course, participants will be able to:
- Recognise and distinguish the concepts of preservation, conservation and restoration.
- Identify and recognise the structure of a photograph (within its different types).
- Identify and recognise the most commonly found types of photographs.
- Recognise the main factors of common deterioration of photography.
- Apply a program destined to control environment and pest infestations.
- Recognise the practice of handling procedures and identify the more suitable storage systems for each type of photograph.
- Develop and maintain a preservation program for the photographic collection, suited to the types of photographs to which it is destined.
Who should take this courses?
It is particularly useful for museologists, archivists, booksellers, librarians.
For all who want to conserve their books, documents and photographs.
It has no access requirements.
We are a training entity certified by DGERT – Training Entity Certificate No. 1800/2015 – so the certificate has international validity. Know more.
The course price (a single payment) includes all content, assessment and certificate. The value is exempt from VAT under paragraph 10 of Article 9 of the CIVA.
The 2 courses of the package Photos, documents and books conservation are organized in parts or modules in order to facilitate the learning sequence.
However, you can freely browse the entire course without any restrictions 24 hours a day, according to your interests and your own work method.
You can consult here the Rules of Operation of Online Courses
How it works
Preventive conservation of photography
PART 1 – Preservation / Conservation / Restauration
Before any approach to the conservation of cultural assets, it will be necessary to synthesize its fundamental concepts.
A lesson is presented with the synthesis of these concepts based on the ICOM – International Council of Museums.
PART 2 – Photography: concept, structure and most common typologies
In this part of the course we will learn what photography really is. The processes inherent to their production and the various typologies and their differences.
- Structure: base, support, emulsion, album, etc.
- Most common typologies
PART 3 – Common deterioration factors (internal and external)
Before starting any preservation program, it is necessary to know the main factors of deterioration of the different photographic species. Only then can we adopt the appropriate measures for each specific case
- Internal factors
- External factors
PART 4 – Environment and pest control
The environmental and pest control that can damage our photographic collections is a fundamental step in the conservation process. We will know the various ways and equipment to carry out this control.
PART 5 – Handling and Packaging systems
How to handle our photographic species and what are the best forms of packaging, from the most complex processes to the simplest and most economical ones.
- Packaging systems
PART 6 – The Preservation Program
What are the stages and methods to develop a preservation program suitable for each type of photographic collection. In this part of the course, several examples will be given and supporting materials will be provided for future use.
- Museum collection program
- Proposed program for private collections (at home)
Preservation of books and documents
1. Concepts and levels of operation
- Preventive Conservation
- Interventional and curative conservation
2.1. Writing materials
3. Agents of deterioration
3.1. Main agents of deterioration
3.2. Main agents of damage and loss
3.3. Most common types of damage
4. Damage minimization and techniques for documents and books conservation
4.1. Consolidation and repair of damage
5. Preservation of materials
5.1. Handling and transportation
5.3. Maintenance and cleaning
5.4. Integrated pest management
5.5. Environmental management
5.5.1. Temperature and relative humidity
5.5.2. Light and invisible radiations
5.5.3. Pollutants and contaminants