In the online course “Understanding Expressionist Art” you will learn how to interpret Expressionist art, its concepts, origins and essence.
You will learn how to distinguish the 2 main groups of expressionism and identify their characteristics:
- Die Brücke (The Bridge).
- Der Blaue Reiter (The Blue Rider).
You will get to know the most emblematic artists and works of the Expressionist movement and learn how to analyze works of Expressionist art .
Language – English
Also available in – Português
Includes 24-hour lifetime access for an unlimited time to:
- Lessons for each theme of the program
- Evaluation (1 final questionnaire)
In this online course you will learn:
- what was expressionist art.
- the origin and context
- the 2 main movements:
- Die Brucke (The Bridge)
- and Der Blaue Reiter (The Blue Rider)
- the main artists and expressionist works
- how to analyze an expressionist painting
- how expressionism influenced cinema
Who should take this online course ?
- Students and teachers of art and art history.
- Artists, art historians, museologists, art curators and professionals in cultural communication and cultural tourism.
- All those who want to know and understand Expressionist art.
No access requirements.
At the end of the course, a training certificate will be issued . Know more.
We are a training entity certified by DGERT – Training Entity Certificate No. 1800/2015 – so the certificate has international validity.
The course price (a single payment) includes all content, assessment and certificate. The value is exempt from VAT under paragraph 10 of Article 9 of the CIVA.
The course is organized in parts or modules in order to facilitate the learning sequence. However, you can freely browse the entire course without any restrictions 24 hours a day, according to your interests and your own work method.
You can consult here the Rules of Operation of Online Courses
How it works
1 – Expressionism
Expressionism: history and essence
Die Brücke (The Bridge)
Der Blaue Reiter (The Blue Rider)
2 – Analysis of Expressionist artworks
Artistin – Marcella (Artist, Marcella), Ernst Kirchner
The Yellow Cow – Franz Marc
3 – Artists and reference works of Expressionist art
Artists and reference works of Expressionist art.
4 – German expressionist cinema
German expressionist cinema – an introduction